Friday, February 17, 2012

Happy birthday, momma

Birthdays are a big deal. At least my mom always made it one. It wasn't just a celebration on my actual "birth" day, it was a celebration on the day, weekend, and week. She had a way of making me feel so celebrated, loved, and special.

And today, she is celebrating her very first birthday in heaven. And I know, without a doubt in my mind, that this is the best birthday she has ever had. Similar to the post about my mom's best Christmas, (you can click on the link to bring you to that post http://mommychristianfaith.blogspot.com/2011/12/best-christmas-my-mom-has-ever-had.html I can hardly fathom her joy celebrating with Jesus, and I know that He is making her feel so celebrated, loved, and special.

One of the funniest memories I have of my mom on one of her birthdays was when we went out to dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. We all ordered steak, because that's what you do at a steakhouse, right? No, not my mom. She ordered fettuccine alfredo. She never lived that one down.

The best memory I have of celebrating my mom was at her surprise 60th birthday party last year.


 This is one of my favorite pictures from her party. The three amigos yelling "surprise." I love all of their expressions, and my mom is no doubt in shock!

Everyone yelling surprise!

All of my mom's siblings.It was especially special because they were the ones who pulled this celebration off and made it happen.

My mom's in-laws who were like siblings to her.

My mom's cousins whom she was close to.


Her beloved co-workers and staff. She really loved them and their support meant the world to her.

So much planing went into that party. And it was perfect. Many of us were able to tell her and show her how much we loved her and how much she meant to us. She told us that she would never forget that birthday for the rest of her life. Little did any of us know, she would only be with us for five more months.



There was something beautiful about the way God allowed my mom to know how much she was loved through that party, and I am so thankful that she knew while she was still here with us.

Most times people only share how they feel at funerals. And at that point it is too late. Please don't wait to let people know how much they mean to you, how much better your life is because of them, and how deeply you really love them, because it doesn't do any good telling them when they aren't here anymore.

My mom's time here on earth was too short for me. But the reality is that it is too short for all of us. Don't wait to let people know how much they mean to you. We really don't have that much time.

Happy birthday momma! I know this is the best birthday you have EVER had and I am so grateful that God gave you to me. You were the most amazing mom and I couldn't ask for more. There are no words that can begin to describe how much I miss and love you. Till we meet again. I love you, momma!

1 comment:

Leana said...

Beautiful, Kristine. Thanks for sharing.